Lands and Deeds
Lands and Deeds Department is headed by the Chief Registrar and assisted by two (2) Assistant Chief Registrars one based at the Headquarters and the other at Ndola Regional Office.
The department is responsible for issuance of certificates of title and registration of various interests. The Department operates within the ambit of the Lands and Deeds Registry Act CAP 185 of the laws of Zambia.
Functions of the Department
The Department’s functions are:
- To efficiently register rights and interests in land;
- To efficiently issue certificates of titles to provide security of land holding;
- To undertake timely and accurate updating of various registers in order to facilitate efficient storage and retrieval of information;
- To contribute to government revenue by ensuring that all registration and search fees are paid;
- To act in a quasi-judicial capacity and make rulings on the applications arising under the Lands and Deeds Registry Act subject to appeal to the High Court;
- To appear in court where matters dealing with registered interests and rights are being adjudicated upon.